Friday, September 01, 2006

 

Web Quests

Now that I have started to read the Tom March Article I really wonder about how difficult it is to write a great web Quest. It seems that a mediocre one would be fairly easy to create but one which requires student’s to alter the material so that the information they find can not just be copied seems really difficult. It seems that he makes it all seem really easy but I think that given some of us are dealing with a lot of different kinds of student’s we have more problems.

I have tried hard to find something that will engage my students but the biggest problem for me is that I can not get my students to tell me what kind of things they are interested in. Every time I ask they say nothing or free time, or something that can not be discussed in class.

I really find that adding the internet and computers to activities really increases student’s passion for learning but they are so easily distracted by the other things that are available on the WWW and they have a real dependence on that translation website that turn previously sensible and comprehendible information into scrambled words that mean nothing.

I think that for many of the student’s that I have the best result that might come from a web Quest is that they will have to interact with others and help others as some of my students appear to be introverted and uncooperative when it comes to working with others. They also do not step outside of the boundaries of what they know. They won’t work with people who they are not friends with and this usually means people who do not speak the same language as them.

Does anyone have any idea on how I could get my students interacting better?

Comments:
Kylie - to get an idea of what your students are actually interested in, perhaps have a look at the websites they visit in class? Go to the History item on the menu of your web browser.
Good luck with it ...

-Debra-
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?